Sunday, June 6, 2010

Down. Set. Chili!

Phase 2 Recipe
I added chili powder and extra onion powder. It is really good and just the right spice for me. I love spicy. It is very filling.


100g ground steak (I use 96/4 ground beef from TJ's)
1 tomato 
1/2 c water or broth 
3-4 cloves minced garlic 

Seasonings (to taste): 
1/2 t onion powder 
1/2 t oregano 
1/4 t cumin 
1/4 t black pepper 
1/4 t cayenne 
1/4 t basil 
1/4 t thyme 

Preheat pan over MED heat. 
Add minced garlic and 1 T of the water/broth to pan. 
Saute 2-3 mins. Be sure not to burn the garlic. Add more water/broth as necessary. 
Increase heat to MED-HI. 
Add ground steak and saute until brown - about 5 mins. 
Add all seasonings and cook an additional 3 mins. Continue to add more water/broth as necessary. 
While that is cooking dice 1/2 of tomato and place other 1/2 in food processor or blender to puree. 
Mix in tomatoes, puree, and rest of broth. 
Turn heat down to MED-LO and simmer until it reaches desired consistency. 

TIP: I usually mix all my spices together in a small bowl so I can add them all at once. 

This can be prepared in advance and frozen. 

1 comment:

  1. Had this for lunch today. Still my favorite VLCD meal. Yummy for my tummy!

    ReplyDelete